with that very active, energetic, batteries never run low child.
R was born to move. He rolled over as soon as he was able to at 3 months and hasn't stopped since.
He is non-stop.
Tonight we went to a first birthday party and we are always nervous for events like this. Of course we want to go but we know what our night will entail. R gets into a new environment and he wants to explore every nook and cranny and he does this at his speed which is running. We do not get to chat with anyone because for the whole time we are at the event one of us is literally at R's hip making sure he doesn't get into something he shouldn't. He isn't a bad kid but his curiosity has no limits. Then we feel bad when you have another child at the party who is within weeks of the same age and is nicely playing within the backyard while our baby is swinging from the rafters.
We are the parents that get comments from others like, "he sure is non-stop", "is he always this active" and "boy, I bet you sleep well at night".
Tonight when we got home we literally sat in the car for 5 minutes before we came inside because we were just that tired from the day.
How can someone so little have so much energy? And no we are not the parents who give our child candy and junk food; then wondering why we is so wound up. We are just the parents on certain days struggling to keep up with a child who has limitless energy.
I know he is a great kid. He is loved by his teachers at school who have always reported him being a good listener, fast learner, easygoing, and VERY ACTIVE.
It is just nights like tonight when comments like I mentioned above make you just feel like your kid isn't in the range of "normal". I look at them with their newborns and wonder if in a year or two from now they will be able to put themselves in our shoes. Will they be the ones running after their child and finally look back and "understand"?!
Parents of other children like this; are you out there??? If so please comment, send me a message, or email me to let me know we are not alone.
YES they will understand one day when they have a toddler! I have to send you this funny article from a mom who apologizes to the world for all the judgments she made before becoming a mother. Have you read it? It's awesome! Your little guy sounds SUPER normal to me! What we're working on right now is sharing and manners and it's a daily struggle. I don't want to raise a brat, but I think I'm just raising a typical toddler. ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Missy! I actually think I did read that article, but you can forward it to me just in case! I think we are going to go try story time at the library so we will see how this goes! I agree about raising a nice respectable lil one!
DeleteIt is the age. My juju doesn't have the energy quite like R, but the age and behavior from both of them is consistent. Instead of high energy, I get high emotions. Girl vs boy maybe. Anyway, juju is a few months older than R, and I have to say that TODAY was a glorious day. The first easy going, minimal crying day I've experienced in I don't know how long. I'm sure tomorrow won't be the same, but it is a reminder that my sweet little girl is still there and she is just currently held captive by a two year old!
ReplyDeleteWill we survive=). Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. You are right about the emotional vs. active in boy vs. girl.
Delete